Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Changes coming to NCR

I feel like there's way too much damn snow on the ground to be getting everyone excited for the upcoming race season. But most drivers already have their cars tinned up and looking pretty so I guess it's time. As mentioned in my introductory post, I'll be writing a lot about Norman County Raceway. So I thought I'd talk about some of the upcoming changes to facility this year.

Scoreboard
This gets me excited. NCR is making it mandatory that all cars have transponders, something most tracks are going with now anyways. Transponders electronically do all the timing and scoring versus 3 people in the booth, who lets be honest, make mistakes. Because its all done electronically they can sync the timing up with a scoreboard that updates positions in real time. NEATO! When I talked to Jake Bitker (track owner) earlier this winter he said he was hoping to have it located either on the infield or on the back stretch. Either way with the scoreboard, plus the new lap counter installed last year, it should help modernize the facility. PLUS, if it's done the same way as River Cities Speedway, you should be able to download an app on your phone (for like $5) so that you can get the real timing on your droid or I-phone while watching the race.

Website
If you haven't been to the track website yet, I suggest you do as soon as you're done reading this post. Pardon my language, but HOLY BALLS is it an improvement over the old one. Not only does it no longer look like it was designed by a 6th grader, but the content is much better too. Along with the usual points, results, and schedule, you can now find driver profiles (which need to be filled out yet), photos, and even videos featuring stuff from YouTube of NCR. See for yourself at www.ncraceway.com

Street Stocks
We caught a glimpse of the Street Stocks last year, and I think most people were somewhat impressed. They're much more wide open and less predictable than the pure stocks. Don't get me wrong...the pure stocks can put on a hell of a show from time to time, but car #'s are low. NCR will still be running pure stocks and the trophy class, but not all 3 classes will run each week. Check the schedule for the dates the classes will run. NCR used to run street stocks when they first opened up. They move pretty good on the tracks wide, smooth surface. I would expect 2 heats every week.

Those are the main things. The 2013 schedule is looking sexier than a Louie Anderson in a wet suit. Ok, bad example. Very bad example. More on that to come in future posts.




PHOTO OF THE DAY: My brother Matt Askelson's Super Stock from the 2002 season. I absolutely hated this color scheme, otherwise know as the "flaming pumpkin."

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget about the Northern Outlaws Sprint Association making its return to NCR for the first time in about 3 or 4 years! That is probably the race I'm most looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting to that in my next blog. I'm gonna write about the 2013 schedule and the "can't miss" races.

      Delete