Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mid Season Analysis

Well we're about halfway through racing season at Norman County Raceway, even though it feels like we just got started. If you remember earlier in the year I posted my preseason predictions. Well as I look back there's a couple spots where I was pretty much dead on and other spots where I wonder what in the Sam heck I was thinking. Nonetheless I shall reflect and make right my previous predictions.

Wissota Modifieds
Well I predicted T-Sauer (that's what his homeboys call him) would win the championship, but he really hasn't been here that much and at this point I don't see it happening. He's still in the points hunt, but I think it will come down to Skytland, Borgen, and Arnenson. I didn't expect Skytland to run at NCR every week so I got caught off guard. Borgen is proving that he's a true contender in this class, and does so without the fancy hauler and 6 spare cars. Arnenson is just fast. He just needs a little luck and to get a starting spot.

Wissota Midwest Modifieds
I previously predicted Rob VanMill or Tyler Hall to be the top dawgs. And up until recently both those guys have had pretty unfortunate years. However, they've got their car figured out now, but keep in mind its a short season. Tyler Peterson has been mad fast. Rich Pavilcek has been too. Actually those two hooligans have been battling all year long. As the summer nights get hotter, I think that rivalry will too, and not like in a "Tom Cruise on a Crotch Rocket" kinda way. (Pardon the Top Gun reference)

Wissota Mod 4's
I'll be honest. I kinda #$%* the bed on this one too, but not that bad. I expected Derek Vesedahl to be dominant this year. But he's been anything but that at NCR this year. Now I mean no disrespect to the #22. Things just haven't went his way this year. Lucky for Derek, nobody has had a dominant season in those angry little bumblebees disguised as racecars. I'm pulling for VanMill, the old one to be more specific.

Wissota Street Stocks
My exact words when I made my streeter predictions were "I have no idea." So in that case I win. For most of the season its been Ryan Pommerererererer and Adam Burrows going back and forth.  I was really hoping for better car numbers this year so that's been one of my biggest disappointments in this class.  Racing has been pretty good though, ya know if you're in to that sort of thing.

Pure Stocks
The Crane Train has left the station and left the competition behind, just like I thought it would. BAM!

Other predictions/thoughts
-Well I also was right about mother nature being a pain in the behind. I feel really sorry for tracks like River Cities Speedway who have gotten a whopping 3 races (actually 2 1/2?) in so far this year. NCR and BRRP have been pretty lucky.
-Car counts and Crowd attendance have been pretty good throughout the region. Whoever said "local racing is dying" can suck it.
-There's a lot of big races coming up. Pretty much every week is a special of some sort. The racing is only going to get better and better.

Also big thanks to all those who have been tuning in to "Racing on the Radio" Thursday nights. We have a lot of great sponsors and a lot of great listeners. Thanks to all of you!!

PHOTO OF THE DAY: Rich Pavilcek and Tyler Peterson battle it out on the last lap at the "Bull Ring" in Grand Forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment